I believe that the purpose of life is twofold:
- First, we have a human duty to discover who we truly are and access our highest abilities.
- Second, once we discover who we truly are I believe we have an obligation to present our gifts to the world in a way that adds value to the human beings around us.
So, step one in fulfilling your life’s purpose is to understand that the doorway to success does not open outward but inward. In other words, the first step to claiming your destiny is to begin the journey of discovering your best self.
I believe every human being has to do the inner work called to do. I invite you to press the pause button on your life and to consider whether you are taking steps on a regular basis to access your highest abilities, your best talents and your authentic self. I know life is busy and it is difficult to make time to reflect and ponder in this day and age but life slips away very quickly and it is easy to get caught up in an unconscious life. The elite performers on the planet and the most fulfilled people have the same quality: they pay attention to life and are very awake. They make time on a daily basis to keep deepening themselves and moving through their fears. They know their weaknesses better than their strengths. And rather than running away from all the things that they are resisting, they run towards them and in doing so they transcend them.
Here are 3 practices that I offer you to help you claim your destiny by discovering your best self:
1. Keep asking yourself the following question: “What am I resisting most in my life?”. We all have blocks that limit us. At our core, we are infinite potential, ideal health, unconditional love and pure fearlessness. In other words, everything that we want to be we already are. We are simply blocked to accessing our highest potential. Just as an artery to the heart can become blocked, our access to our greatness can become blocked as we pick up other people’s limiting beliefs and the fears taught to us by our early teachers. By doing the inner work, we become conscious of our blocks. And the more we pay attention to them, the more we can make choices around transcending them.
2. Practice solitude, silence, and stillness on a daily basis. All of the deepest answers to your biggest questions already lie within you. Science is starting to show that the heart’s intelligence is extraordinarily powerful. In the past, we have believed that the brain holds all our intelligence but this is no longer the case as proven by the new field known as Neurocardiology. Five thousand years ago the mystics were already inviting us to listen to the heart's wisdom and to govern ourselves accordingly. When we go into silence, we can still hear the mental chatter that dominates our days and connect with the deepest part of ourselves.
The more we can go into silence, the more we can let our hearts guide us to living a truly authentic and inspiring life. Make your positive affirmations about where you want to go and practice your self-talk.
3. Connect to a Crusade. It is essential, in claiming your destiny, to connect to something higher than yourself. Every great leader who has ever walked the planet before us discovered a Cause. Discovering your “big vision” will serve to motivate you, give you more energy than you have ever experienced and help you to stay focused and inspired through the difficult times that every human being must face sometime along the journey. Discovering your Crusade will help you shift from a focus on success to a commitment to significance. It will help you step out of your current life and step into your highest possibilities so that you feel a deep sense of mission about everything that you do. And remember, for a Crusade to be effective and to truly engage you at your core level, it must ultimately be something that adds value to human lives and makes a difference in the world. When you shift from a compulsion to survive toward a commitment to serve, your life cannot help but explode into success.