Great pointers to start off this year.
62 WAYS TO MAKE 2010 YOUR BEST YEAR YETby Robin Sharma
1. Remember that leadership isn't about your position. It's about your influence.
2. Get fit like a pro athlete
3. Lift people up versus tearing people down
4. Protect your good name. An impeccable reputation takes a lifetime to build. And 60 seconds to lose
5. Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence
6. Remember that even a 1% daily innovation rate amounts to at least a 100% rate of innovation in 100 days
7. Believe in your dreams (even when others laugh at them)
8. Measure your success, not by your net worth but by your self worth (and how happy you feel)
9. Take an intelligent risk every 24 hours. No try-No Win.
10. Read "Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist"
11. Watch "Man on Wire"
12. Regardless of your title at work, be a team builder.
13. Remember that business is all about relationships and human connections
14. Say "please" more
15. Say "thank you" more
16. Know your Big 5: the five things that need to happen by the end of this year for you to feel it's been your best year yet
17. Read your Big 5 every morning while the rest of the world is asleep
18. Read "As You Think". At least twice this year.
19. Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness
20. Focus less on making money and more on creating value
21. Spend less, save more
22. Leave everything you touch better than you found it
23. Be the most positive person in every room you're in
24. Run your own race
24. Stay true to your deepest values and best ideals
25. Write a handwritten thank you note to a customer/friend/loved one every day
26. When you travel, send love letters to your kids on hotel stationary. In time, they'll have a rich collection to remember your travels by
27. Read "Atlas Shrugged"
28. Be a problem solver versus a trouble maker
29. Rather than doing many things at mediocrity do just a few things-but at mastery
30. Honor your parents
31. Commit to doing great work-whether anyone notices it or not. It's one of life's best sources of happiness.
32. Give more than you receive (another of the truths of happiness)
33. Have your 1/3/5/10/25 years goals recorded on paper and review them weekly
34. Be patient. Slow and steady wins the race. The only reason businesses that went from zero to a billion in a year or two get featured in magazines is because 99% of businesses require a lot more time to win
34. Underpromise and then overdeliver
35. See part of your job as "a developer of people" (whether you work in the boardroom or the mailroom)
36. Wear your heart on your sleeve. When people see you're real, they'll fall in love with you
37. Be authentic versus plastic
38. Read "The Alchemist"
39. Remember that life wants you to win. So get out of your own way
40. Consider that behind every fear lives your next level of growth (and power)
41. Eat less food
42. Drink more water
43. Rest when you need to
44. Read "SUCCESS" magazine
45. Write your eulogy and them live your life backwards
46. Demand the best from yourself
47. Remember that the more you go to your limits, the more your limits will expand
48. See everything that happens to you as an opportunity to grow (and therefore, as a precious gift)
49. Be obsessed with learning and self-development
50. Become comfortable alone (you are the only person you get to be with your whole life)
51. Smile. It's a stunningly effective way to win in business and life
52. Reflect on the shortness of life
53. Be bold when it comes to your dreams but gentle with those you love
54. Remember that success is dangerous because it can kill drive/innovation/passion and going the extra mile. Be successful yet stay hungry
55. Read "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin"
56. Be of deep value to this world
57. Own beautiful things but don't let them own you
58. Use excellent words.
59. Laugh more.
60. Don't complain, gossip or be negative.
61. Plan as if you'll live forever but live as if you'll die tomorrow.
62. Feel free to pass these lessons on to those you want to help.