Rosenborg was built as a pleasure palace by Christian IV at the beginning of the 17th century, and quickly became the king's favorite castle. Christian IV left a deep impression on Danish history through his colorful personality, building projects and waging of war.
Christian IV ruled the counry together with the Privy council, but absolutism was introduced with his son Frederik III in 1660. Many of the furnishings in the castle reflect the pomp of the absolute monarchy.
From the 1700s Rosenborg was no longer used as a residence, but became the place where the kings placed their oldest. finest and rarest objects. Here the king's guests could see the wealth and status of the Danish-Norwegian kingdom in Europe. Rosenborg opened to the public as a museum in 1838. This displays the king's lavish collection of valuables, often acquired as gifts from foreign rulers.